🙏 Free review 2020
Major Environmental Disasters
Required Environmental Legislation
✍️ Free Response Questions (FRQs)
🏜 Unit 1: The Living World: Ecosystems
1.1Introduction to Ecosystems
1.10Energy Flow and the 10% Rule
🐠 Unit 2: The Living World: Biodiversity
2.5Natural Disruptions to Ecosystems
👪 Unit 3: Populations
3.0Unit 3 Overview: Populations
3.1Generalist and Specialist Species
3.2K-Selected r-Selected Species
🌏 Unit 4: Earth Systems and Resources
4.3Soil Composition and Properties
🏖 Unit 5: Land and Water Use
5.7Meat Control Methods
5.9Impacts of Mining
⚡️ Unit 6: Energy Resources and Consumption
6.0Unit 6 Overview: Energy Resources and Consumption
💨 Unit 7: Atmospheric Pollution
7.1Introduction to Air Pollution
7.5Indoor Air Pollutants
7.6Reduction of Air Pollutants
♻️ Unit 8: Aquatic and Terrestrial Pollution
🔥 Unit 9: Global Change
9.1Stratospheric Ozone Depletion
9.4Increases in the Greenhouse Gases
⏱️ 1 min read
April 29, 2020
The amount of energy in an ecosystem determines how much energy an ecosystem can support. The amount of energy that the producers in an ecosystem capture is called the gross primary productivity (GPP).
When plants take in sunlight, some of the energy is always lost through respiration, so, the net primary productivity (NPP) is calculated by subtracting the amount of energy respired from the gross primary productivity. Since the net primary productivity factors in respiration, it is a more accurate representation of the amount of energy available in an ecosystem.
Ecosystems are generally very unproductive. 99% of the sunlight that hits the earth is reflected, or it passes through the producers without being absorbed. Only the remaining 1% is captured by photosynthesis and becomes part of the GPP. However, 60% of the GPP is lost to respiration, so only 40% of the GPP, or 0.4% of total solar energy, supports the growth and reproduction of producers.
Source: Mr. G's Class
2550 north lake drive
milwaukee, wi 53211
92% of Fiveable students earned a 3 or higher on their 2020 AP Exams.
*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.