Ultimate Checklist for Applying to College
- This checklist can help you keep track of all the steps necessary to successfully submit your college applications.
- Each college application has many components, and it is important to make sure you are completing every step before submitting your apps.
- This checklist can help you keep track of important deadlines (scholarships, early action, early decision, etc.), stay organized, and make sure you don’t forget any important steps!
College Application Checklist Template ✅
Fill out this checklist for each school you apply to!
Name of School _________________________
Type of Application Deadline __________________________
Date of Application Deadline __________________
- Complete your Application profile (Common App, Coalition App, or region-specific app)
- Fill out all application information
- Please note: most colleges have both an "Application" and "Writing Supplement" sections. Make sure you submit BOTH!
- Finish and submit your essay
- Invite your recommenders (teachers/counselors)
- Waive your FERPA rights (if you don't, colleges can see that, and they may not think the recommendation letters are as objective)
- Submit test scores (if needed)
- Submit any necessary supplements or additional materials (i.e., written prompts, portfolios)
- Proofread ALL materials
- Request transcripts
- Send application fee
- Request a fee waiver if eligible
- Submit FAFSA (opens October 1st)
- Submit CSS profile if applicable
- Double-check that everything is submitted BEFORE the deadline! ⏰
Tip: the server often crashes on the day of the deadline, be proactive and submit early!
***For more college advice and content, check out these top 10 Tiktoks on the college app experience and tips, this article about what it means to apply to college undecided, this article about discovering your college major, and this guide of the college process deadlines.
For a PDF version of this checklist, click here!