During summer break, it often seems like reading is a waste of time, an activity that doesn’t compare to the things you could be doing instead. People tend to put away their books or not actually take the time to sit and read every once in a while. However, taking your own time to read during summer break is more beneficial than not. Yes, it improves vocabulary, keeps you from dropping your reading level, and all the good stuff to help once school starts again. And while that is all important, that’s not the only reason you should pick up a book anytime you have a little time to spare. Reading can help you escape. When you really get into a book, it’s as if you can escape reality and venture into a whole new world while you read. Having that kind of break is always helpful during a jammed packed summer, or even a sit at home boring one. As you read about new characters, and live in their lives for a bit, you can really connect to them, making you care more and more about the story. Being passionate about something gives you a reason to move on to the next chapter, not to sit back and let your summer waste away. If you have a Library, used book store, Barnes & Noble, or any place to get books near you, it is definitely worth the trip to go find something to read! So while it may seem like a bore, if you pick up a book this summer, you will always have a next chapter to look forward to, making summer so much more fun than it already is!
Here is a list of some of my favorite books/series that are definitely worth taking a look into!
- The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel — This is a 6 book series, beginning with Evermore, which goes into the life of Ever Bloom, a teenage girl who moved in with her aunt in California after her parents died and begin expierenceing weird “powers,” such as hearing peoples thoughts and seeing auras. After strange occurances with a strange boy at her new school, she discovers she has become Immortal and constantly struggles to be with her true love throughout the series, one obstacle after another.
- H2O by Virginia Bergin — H2O is the first of a two book series where killer rain, turned posionous after being invested with dust from an asteroid. Ruby, the main character, struggles to survive as her life is torn apart as people die one by one in front of her and resources become scarce. This novel follows Ruby as she struggles to survive without letting a single drop of rain land on her, for just one drop can kill a person.
- The Selection Series by Kiera Cass — Though it may seem a bit girly, this series follows America Singer, a poor girl chosen as the girl from her province to take part in The Selection. The Selection is a competition where one girl from every province, all thirty five of them, is chosen to move into the castle and compete to win over Prince Maxon’s heart and become his queen. America only agrees to take part so her family can recieve the checks provided by the castle, although she is reluctant and has no intention to be with the Prince. At least not at first…
- The House of Night Series by P.C. and Kirsten Cast — This is a twelve book series begins with Marked, which follows the life of Zoey Redbird, a normal teenager who was marked and is becoming a vampire. She shows extraordinary powers and advances through the stages of the change must faster than anyone else. I am only on the second book myself, but both my mom and sister have read the whole series and both loved it.
- Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi — The world is in ruins and war is broke out everywhere. Juilette has a lethal touch that puts anyone in excrutiating pain, and even can lead to death. She spent her life locked up because of this trait, until she is seen as a weapon by a power hungry leader. She fights for freedom and falls in and out of love in this thrilling series!