The software and development fellow will work closely with the Chief Technology Officer to brainstorm, plan, and develop new technologies that make the lives of Fiveable students, teachers, and streamers better. We will meet as a whole on a project by project basis, plan out the granular tasks of each project, and head into sprint-mode until completion, and repeat. In this role you’ll be working with React, React-Native, Firebase, Node, Redux, Material-UI, and more. You’ll be more than just a cog in a development machine. You’ll be a part of the decision making, which will give you experience as an architect and developer. This fellowship is a stepping stone to your dream career, possibly with Fiveable!
Day to Day:
This will fluctuate based on the timing of the project with which you’re involved. On a typical sprint-mode day, you’ll code most of the day with meetings scattered throughout the week. Meetings will include code review, peer-to-peer discussion, check-ins with the CTO, etc.
In weeks where a project is ending or starting, we’ll likely have much longer meetings, sometimes lasting multiple days, in order to make sure our takeoff or landing is as smooth as possible.
- You have developed and published a complex React or React-Native application.
- You have never stopped learning, and never will.
- You are politely honest and able to communicate your ideas and concerns efficiently.
- You’re capable of learning new technologies by yourself, without being instructed.
- You have experience in UI/UX, design, or other related web development fields.
- You are currently pursuing or have an undergraduate or graduate degree related to software development.
- You have experience working on iOS and/or Android applications.
- You are extremely comfortable with other tools that we frequently use such as Slack, WordPress, and Proofhub.
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a unique opportunity to join an early-stage startup and work closely with the founders to develop a range of professional skills. After a full semester of the fellowship, fellows may be offered full-time positions or may extend their fellowship for an additional semester.
- Full rent and utilities covered for the house plus Netflix & Hulu!
- Groceries for the house and monthly outings with the team
- Weekly team dinners at Fiveable HQ
- Monthly stipend and end of semester bonuses
Note: Recent graduates and alumni of area colleges are heavily encouraged to apply. We regret that we are unable to accept overseas applicants + cannot provide sponsorship for work visas at this moment.
Read more about Fiveable and the founders’ mission at:
- The launch of the Fiveable Fellow House
- The full backstory of Fiveable posted on EdSurge
- The Medium post that launched the original Fiveable House