Migrations and Borders 🚶🏼🔄 🏠 🛶
People are constantly on the move. Some leave in search of work or economic opportunities, while others are forced to vacate an area due to conflict, persecution, terrorism, natural disasters, and more. According to the United Nations
, a migrant is "any person who is moving or has moved across an international border or within a State." In recent years, there has been the large-scale movement of refugees and migrants
globally, causing countries all over the world to decide whether to fully open their borders, set certain restrictions, or completely isolate themselves.
Migrations/Borders Overview - Italy
*Side Note - The Syrian Refugee Crisis, caused by the violence between the Syrian government and opposition, has forced millions of families to flee. Today, there are over 12 million Syrians displaced from their homes, resulting in an unprecedented increase in the number of refugees and other migrants entering Europe 🇸🇾 🇸🇾
Immigration is one of the major issues in Italy because thousands of migrants enter the country every year to find work and safety. Many of these people were in immense danger, and they had to leave their former homes due to unstable living conditions. The politicians tend to point to immigration as the focal point of all other problems, but the real issue is the economic crisis. Unfortunately, the problem continues to grow, as more Italians express negative concerns about immigrants, without fully understanding the extent of the situation and all of the immigrants' stories and journeys.
- In the past 10 years, over 750,000 migrants have crossed the Mediterranean 🌊 to the Italian island of Sicily
- Sicily is one of the poorest places in Europe
Refugees jumping into water off oversized boat on the coast of Libya, Image Courtesy of Internationalist
- In the EU, Italy has received the 2nd most asylum applications ( > 45,000), after Germany, and has the 3rd largest migrant population in Europe
- Italy made a $236 million deal with Libya, in which Italy trains and funds the Libyan coastguard to divert migrants back to Libya
- 54% of Italians say immigrants are a burden; 12% say they make the country stronger
Solutions - Global Scale 💡
There are over 22 million people displaced worldwide, and the current system to help these people is flawed. Governments have a duty to help these individuals, but instead, they spend billions on border control. In fear of their country being "overrun," they allow poorer countries to host 86% of all refugees. As a result, the United Nations needs to pump millions of dollars into humanitarian aid, but they are running low on funds, people are going hungry, and the problem still persists...
- Reinsediare (tornare a casa) tutti gli individui che ne hanno bisogno e istituire sistemi di rifugiati forti ⏮️
- Fermare il numero di persone che cercano illegalmente di fuggire da paesi e muoiono - le nazioni devono investire in operazioni di ricerca e salvataggio
- Le persone che fuggono da persecuzioni o guerre dovrebbero poter attraversare qualsiasi confine, senza documentazione
- Porre fine alle bande di trafficanti che sfruttano i migranti
- I governi non devono incolpare gli immigrati per problemi e invece combattere tutto il razzismo e la xenofobia 🙅🏾 🙅🏾
Solutions - Italy 💡
Thousands of immigrants enter Italy each year, which helps the country that is suffering from an aging population. Unfortunately, many cross the border illegally or do not find work, and some Italians feel that these people are infringing on their culture and way of life. This problem has become the center of Italian politics, as many believe that immigrants deserve a safe and stable place for a better chance at life, while others feel strongly that immigrants are bad for the nation and demand that all immigration ceases.
- Consentire agli immigrati di richiedere la cittadinanza, imparare la lingua e la cultura e trovare lavoro 📓
- Istituire programmi per integrare gli immigrati nella cultura italiana
- Consentire alle persone in pericolo di entrare, ma poi concedere loro abbastanza tempo per sviluppare una vita stabile
- Cambiare la mentalità delle persone - gli immigrati stanno salvando il paese morente dell'Italia
- Sistemare il sistema politico e assegnare alle persone responsabili opinioni appropriate ⭐
Italian refugee camp, Image Courtesy of SOS Children's Villages